“Your pier-glass or extensive surface of polished steel made to be rubbed by a housemaid, will be minutely and multitudinously scratched in all directions; but place now against it a lighted candle as a centre of illumination, and lo! The scratches will seem to arrange themselves in a fine series of concentric circles round the little sun. It is demonstrable that the scratches are going everywhere impartially, and it is only your candle which produces the flattering illusion of a concentric arrangement, its light falling with an exclusive optical selection. These things are a parable. The scratches are events, and the candle is the egoism of any person now absent..." ~ George Eliot

August 12, 2011

The Art of Conversation

Jennie Willing, in The Potential Woman, tells her readers: “A woman ought to talk, as a real lady always dresses, simply, neatly, and with refined taste; her tones should be quiet, even, sure and steady.” In case you couldn’t tell, this sage advice is a wee dated. It harkens from the 1880’s, in fact, and represents the kind of anxiety that churned around what constituted proper conversation in the nineteenth century.

I’m feeling a bit of that anxiety lately. For the last week and half I’ve made it a point to go into my office for several hours every day with my office door open. Sure enough, this has led to many introductions and conversations ranging from 5 minutes to 20 or more minutes. At the end of every one of these exchanges I spend at least the next 30 minutes analyzing what kind of impression I must have left, going through several Homer Simpson “Doh!” motions over things I should have (or should not have) said.

It’s exhausting.

Everyone I’ve met so far has been extraordinarily nice, so I can’t imagine what this “meet and greet” process would be like in a place where people were snooty or grouchy. I don’t for a minute think that my panic attacks after each conversation is unique to me, I imagine its something most new faculty go through. Here is a glimpse of what goes through my mind when I’m in the middle of one of these casual drop-in-to-say-hello-to-the-new-professor conversations:

Should I stand up and go to the door or invite him to sit down? Don’t forget to have a firm grip when you shake hands. Boy am I glad I don’t have to courtesy any more, imagine doing that in this skirt! I can’t believe Kassie talked to me into finally wearing skirts. Focus, Kristen, focus. What was his name? oh Gosh, I totally missed him telling me his name. maybe I can look it up on the webpage. Ask him a question. Any question. No, not that question. His area, ask him what area he’s in. Am I slouching? I’m doing that weird cross-over thing again with my leg. Why do I do that? Make eye contact, am I making enough eye contact? Maybe I’m staring to intently, look away casually now. Uhoh. I don’t know the name of the author he just mentioned. Should I admit that or just nod and let him go on? He’s leaving now. Is that too soon? Was I boring? Oh, he just has to teach. Shoot. I already forgot what area he teaches in. Just smile. Just smile.

I could go on, but I thought a 30 second clip was enough.

I’m not sure if Jennie Willing would condone my conversation (or dress for that matter) as refined, but I hope this experience, if nothing else, makes me a connoisseur in the art of conversation.

3 comments:

tstone822@aol.com said...

Dear Kristen, I cannot stop laughing ....
Do not worry .... they will
love you ... almost as much
as I love you!

I love you,
Aunt Trish

will said...

Really wonderful to read these posts Kristen.
Have to say that your scenario above it is not proprietary to the liberal arts, or age...
I still find myself in a version of the above scene quite a bit. Still manage to get befuddled even though I fell I know most everyone in Philadelphia now.
Think its a good sign though. Its what makes us human. Goofy humans..

And your book list is wonderful too! Reading Kingsolver- Animal, Vegetable, miracle now..

Good to hear you are settling down in Texas. Will try to check your blog every now and then- really wonderful to read+

will

Vicki said...

I totally think the same things Kristen...although I often do that while teaching... thinking "why did I just say that, did that make sense, what are they thinking about, man I am a terrible teacher, that makes me think about something that has nothing to do with the class, did I just say that out loud"...You are not alone my friend.