“Your pier-glass or extensive surface of polished steel made to be rubbed by a housemaid, will be minutely and multitudinously scratched in all directions; but place now against it a lighted candle as a centre of illumination, and lo! The scratches will seem to arrange themselves in a fine series of concentric circles round the little sun. It is demonstrable that the scratches are going everywhere impartially, and it is only your candle which produces the flattering illusion of a concentric arrangement, its light falling with an exclusive optical selection. These things are a parable. The scratches are events, and the candle is the egoism of any person now absent..." ~ George Eliot

June 3, 2012

Old Dogs Do Learn New Tricks


I am postponing my last reflection on my first year as a tenure-track professor in which I plan to talk about how we define success in the field of academia (or life in general). I hope to have that post ready next week. If anyone has comments they would like me to think about or address or include in my post, I'd love to hear from you. just write your suggestions and ideas in the comments to this post.

For now, I want to share a way of doing research that has really worked for me. You'd think after nearly a decade of doing this kind of work that I would have figured out an effective method of reading, taking notes, and transferring what I learn from all that into papers. But I haven't really developed a system I like, until now.

I had two weeks to research and write a conference paper, and the research involved an area I was not terribly familiar with. This required me to work my way through half a century of criticism, an impossible sounding task to me given the time constraints. For starters I followed the method my good friend Matt Mullins suggests in his post here.

Usually when I am reading a book or an article I have my computer right next to me and whenever I come across a passage I may want to quote in the future, or every time I needed to summarize the points made, or every time the reading made me think of an idea, I would stop and type it up. I thought this was the most efficient way to do it, but I began to suspect that my inability to grasp the larger picture of the article's or book's argument was due to the interrupted nature of my reading. Plus, it seemed to take me forever to get through even a short article.

So for this conference paper I have switched things up a bit. The first step was going to Target to buy a packet of those slim little tab sticky notes. I must admit this was at first slightly motivated out of a desire to be cool. Some people I highly respect and think are intelligent (and pretty cool) use them, so I thought maybe I'd become smarter by using them too. Aside from this initially vain motive, however, the tabs are saving my life for this paper.

The next step involves choosing about 3 or 4 books I plan to read that day (its summer, so I have 3-4 hours to devote to uninterrupted reading a day). I read straight through without stopping, using my tabs to indicate passages I want to return to. Either later that afternoon or the next day I devote about an hour to revisiting those books and typing up all the notes and ideas that the tabs direct me to.

I don't know how to explain it, but in 10 days I have gotten through about 2 shelves worth of books using this method. I'm sure some people can get through 10 books in a day, but for me this was record-breaking (not all English majors are fast readers. And some of us suck at scrabble by the way). And in comparing my notes from this method to the quality of notes from my old method, I do not really detect a difference.

The only thing I would like to add to this method would be to write a quick 3-4 sentence summary of the overall aims and arguments of the piece. For some reason that always takes the mental energy I just don't have when I finish reading something, but I do think it would really help capture the "big picture" when I have the whole work freshest in my mind.

So here's to learning how to do things in a new way, nearly a decade later.


5 comments:

Vicki said...

Thanks for the tip Kristen (and Matt). I need to read some as a I finally get started on turning my dissertation into something, but I get too distracted with my normal methods.

Greta said...

This sounds like a great way to do things. I have done post it tabs for a long time (clearly, you are hinting at my coolness in your post! ha!) but what stuck out to me was the fact that you go back and revisit those post it tabs later in the day to organize your thoughts. I think that's my problem. I will read something and tab it, and then later when I'm looking for something I will have forgotten which article or book its tagged in. I think that creating a system like this would be majorly beneficial! Thanks for the idea! And welcome to the cool world of tabbing! (By the way, it looks like you are even cooler and smarter if you tab with multiple colors)

KAP said...

I am ashamed to say that I intentionally change the color of my tabs as I am reading because you are right, Greta, it does look cooler :-)

Anonymous said...

I think you should talk about academia and work/life balance in your final post. As you know, I'm a big proponent of having "a life" outside of academia (to the detriment of my work, probably), but sometimes it's hard to remember that. We always struggle with that as grad students and I'm sure it gets no better when you move onto the tenure track. I'd like to hear more about whether you struggled with that this year or not. :)

Miss ya! Melissa

Anonymous said...

I love the evolution of this approach, Kristen. I have to say that I agree with the reading straight through bit. That was something that became more and more clear to me during the dissertation process. If I stop to make notes or actually write every time I hit something important, I'll never actually READ the article, chapter, book.

Let's hear it for truly reading our fellow conversants!